fbpx Skip to main content

Under the Care Act, local authorities are able to request information relating to a person’s income, savings and assets if there is a possibility that the local authority will need to pay for their care. Homecare charges need to be ‘reasonable’ – taking into consideration the person’s income, savings and day to day expenses. Local authorities tend to apply the savings threshold of £23,250 as they do with care in a care home.

People sometimes feel that they don’t want to share their personal financial situation with a social worker – if they are going to be self funding then essentially there is no need to undertake a financial assessment until such time as the local authority steps in to pay for care (which may never happen). However if someone does not have the means to pay for their care and they refuse to complete a financial assessment then the local authority will regard them as self funding.

An attorney (under a Lasting Power of Attorney) or Deputy for Finances and Property can complete the form on behalf of someone who lacks capacity.

Sometimes people worry that they are not aware of all of the person with dementia’s assets and savings – they can only complete the form to the best of their ability. If savings accounts/ISAs/other investments come to light further down the road and the person has had their care bills paid by the local authority then these discoveries ought to be reported to the local authority who may re assess in light of new information.

If you feel that after your financial assessment you are being unfairly charged please contact us for further information: admin@pathwaysthroughdementia.org / 0203 405 5940


Leave a Reply